So does creating a blog make blogworty events suddenly happen? Today was a total trip.
I started out the morning feeling proactive (…ok, I drank 1/2 a Pomegranate RockStar because I was dragggggin’ and did NOT want to go to work). My co-worker is out so I wanted to follow up on her new hires and make sure they had everything needed to be able to start next Monday. One young man hadn’t given us his BCLS card yet. Wait, let me back up. What is a BCLS card? It’s specific type of CPR certification card that hospitals require anyone who touches a patient to have or you cannot work…and I will walk you out, don’t try me.
So I call Mr. Missing BCLS and he says he finished the class Thursday and planned to bring it in this morning but he is actually in the hospital on the 4th floor. I inquire further and come to find out, he came into the ER (the department he’s being hired to work in) Saturday and was diagnosed with having a blood clot in his leg. The blood clot was so large he had to have surgery immediately to take it out and they still could only remove a portion. They put him on blood thinners to help thin out the rest and allow it to pass, which ended up saving his life. Sunday evening his chest started hurting and at first he thought it was indigestion until it ran down his shoulders and arms. They ran further tests and he had blood clots in BOTH lungs, meaning they’d already passed through his heart. Had he not been on the blood thinners that broke the clots up and made them smaller, he would have died instantly.
Well of course I told him we didn’t expect him to be at orientation next Monday and we would push it out as far as necessary. He happened to be in a room in the department of one of my favorite directors. I had to go by her office to pick up paperwork so I stopped by his room. I ended up talking with he and his mother for over 30 minutes. The part that got me was how they told me how his father died a year before and they think it was from the same thing and they knew he should have been dead. Then we started talking about purpose and God. I asked him if he knew he was supposed to be here, that whether he knew it or not God had a plan for his life. {Ok, this is where you say WHAT!! Because as the words were coming out of my mouth I was like HUH!!} He, in tears, said he didn’t before but he did now. We talked some more and I told him I’d visit again later in the week. Now, this is not one of my new hires, remember my co-worker is out and I’m helping her out. I didn’t know him until I talked to him this morning. When I got back to my office and told my other co-workers why he wouldn’t be in orientation, they proceed to tell me things about this young man they both knew and his ‘lifestyle choices’, which made my conversation with him and his revelation make even more sense.
Well you’d think that would be enough of an event for one day, right? HA! So now I’ve spent an hour and a half or so between talking to him, in the office of the director whose floor he’s on, talking to the director that is hiring him in the emergency room and trippin’ out about me sharing God w/ a patient when we don’t see patients. Since I’d gotten nothing done, I was really working when one of my co-workers went to lunch. She gets her food and sits at the table in the conference area that is in the middle of all our offices and right out side my door. We start discussing why we don’t want to do department trip if we have to pay for it, finances and she brought up tithing. She said she didn’t have a church home but always gave offering and felt like her contributions to the charities at work and other charities were equivalent to tithing because they were good causes.
Now I wanted to work, didn’t want to explain what tithing was and how everything in me cringed when she said giving to United Way was tithing. We ARE HR so I just wanted to mind my own business. Then it’s like the record scratched and I knew I couldn’t just NOT say anything so I put my work down and we proceeded to have a 45 minute conversation about the tithe, tithing, how God said you can try him in that area, what God has done for myself and others, Godly leaders and churches, tradition & religion versus relationship. We cried, prayed. I had to I laugh at God and His sense of humor. Here I am NOT wanting to go to church exhorting my co-worker on why she SHOULD go to church! Here I am trying to not think about my issues w/ church, and smacked right in the face with it TWO TWICE in one day.
Funny thing is most of the time when you are sharing with someone, you are talking to yourself; at least that’s how it works out for me. I spent most of yesterday in the ‘black hole’, not talking, eating, doing much but laying around, thinking and being unhappy about what I was thinking about. I would make a list in my mind of what I needed to get done, then not do it and beat myself up for not doing it. Then I’d feel even worse than I did before I thought about what I needed to do and lay back down. It was a vicious cycle that got me nowhere. Talking to my co-worker and explaining who God was and how much he cared even when we are wrong and KNOW we are wrong made it hard for me to feel crappy. I wanted to feel crappy too. I wanted to embrace the crappy, wallow with it and make a nest hahaha!! Explaining to her why you don’t tithe out of obligation but out of relationship or you might as well keep it and giving examples of ways God has shown His love to myself or others, it was downright impossible to be pissy.
Oh well, there’s always tomorrow LOL!! …and I can hear Tina screaming "NOOOOOOOO!!" at the computer screen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment