Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blank Slate

Yesterday I visited a friend and her beautiful four-month-old baby. Just watching the baby, I was almost moved to tears {NOT BECAUSE I WANTED A BABY OR ANYTHING RETARDED LIKE THAT!!! (Tina…yes a parenthesis w/in the parenthesis, just all kinds of wrong)} Just watching this innocent baby observe the world caused me to look at what a blank slate she was.

I told her mother she had the opportunity to write whatever she wanted on the tablet of her daughter. There would be things her daughter will learn over the years from peers, authoritative figures, even things that are subconsciously socially constructed but parents have the opportunity to make the most impact on the direction of the life of their child. I told the baby she could be whatever she wanted to be and do whatever she wanted to do from astronaut to artist. It’s hard sometimes as parents not to want to push your children in the direction you would like for them to go, possibly a path you weren’t able to take instead of cultivating the gifts and unique characteristics God placed in them.

As I sat there in awe of how this young life had it made since she has no debt, could write her own history w/o encumbrances of bad decisions or the baggage of malfunctioned, abused or misguided emotions I was reminded that we too as children of God have become blank slates. Regardless of what has transpired, “new every morning” means another blank slate. Another opportunity to effect change, get it right, do or become whatever it is we desire; what God’s placed in us. It’s hard to believe in this world where nothing is free God GAVE His Son as a sacrifice to wipe our slate clean. Selah… Being a Chrisitian most of my life, when I wonder if I will ever fully understand and grasp what the means!

Dude…I SWEAR I did NOT set out to have a “Christian” blog. Grrrrr!!

No comments:

Post a Comment