Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Bridge Builder

“We all make mistakes in our lives that's the way it is so hold onto what is right. We all get the chance in our lives, to make right.” ~ Submersed


A wise man once told me the story of a bridge builder. He said the man built bridges across the world helping those who were unable to get food and water obtain what was needed by having access to cross where they were unable to cross before. He was known far and wide for all the good he’d done for mankind. One day the bridge builder made a mistake. From that point on, everyone only remembered or spoke about his mistake as though his years of good works were negated and forgotten by one mistake.


We do 10 things right and 1 thing wrong, what’s remembered? I myself have been guilty of holding the one bad thing someone has done to others or myself against them and allowing that to cast a shadow on anything positive or right they have done. God didn’t call us to live like this. God sent Jesus to bridge the gap for us; to build an eternal bridge allowing us to be brought to restoration anytime we desire it. The Word says God holds no record of our transgressions and once forgiven, all wrong is thrown into the Sea of Forgetfulness. He so doesn’t remember any wrong doing that when we come to Him out of guilt for our behavior, often times He’s like, “huh…what are you talking about?”


If only we could forget. Love covers the multitude of sin, hopes the best and believes the best of every person but our nature finds it easier to believe the worst of others. Our nature wants to find fault, put a scarlet letter on all deemed “bad” so anyone that might cross their path knows of the wrong they’ve done.


I know I’ve been guilty of harboring unforgiveness. As I think about my intent towards most and wish I could erase everything that’s cast me in a negative light…I can’t. I wonder how many good deeds it will take for anyone I’ve slighted to move past it and remember the good in my heart. When having the speck or log pointed out in my eye, it’s easy to want to do the same but is that right? If I’m trying to be more like Christ, shouldn’t I turn the proverbial cheek?


It’s one thing if the bad in a person outweighs the good, but if the person made a mistake (which we all do) and their pattern is opposite this mistake, will you only see the mistake and erase their past? Who are you judging unbalanced? Would you like to stand on the same scales of injustice? Or will you remember the many bridges they built and how many of them provided you passage at a time you saw no way out?

1 comment:

  1. C. Love, there's that flaw that seems to creep into every type of relationships. Mercy rejoices over judgment; Love does not keep record of suffer wrongs ~ hmm, I some times wonder if the "Christiandom" should find a new nomenclature, because the word 'Christian' means "Christ-like" and Christ-like to Love and Forgive ~ a high "Calling" isn't it?!

    Thank you for your honesty - it is most refreshing!

    ReplyDelete